Saturday, December 1, 2007

Back in the (roadbike) saddle again

Since the road bike was purchased in April, most of my rides on it so far have been in mild weather. The temp. was 34 when I left the house at 7:10 this morning. I soon realized how different cold weather riding is on the road compared to the woods. I was not prepared for the constant wind chill. The new gloves and ear-covering headband was nice, but more investments in cold weather gear must be made!
Five brave souls show up at the Bikebeat in Kempsville for the 7:30 am ride. Rick, Dave, and Greg are on time trial bikes, now I'm nervous about keeping up. This is my first ride on the road in a month, and I feel out of shape. Rick is coming back from a broken back, and they are supposed to be taking it easy in the off season anyway. These guys dont know how to take it easy.
We pull out on the road and warm up with a high cadence, 19- 21 mph. Staying in the draft was not a problem. 21-23mph was the norm. I hung in until about 30 miles in, Dave decides to pull us to 26mph! I sucked Gregs' wheel as long as I could. A quarter mile or so from our next turn off, I lost the draft. They didnt get too far ahead. As the pace slowed I caught back up. Luckly everyone was heads up when a dear jumped out right in front of us! We slammed on the brakes, scattering all over the place. Everything was good for the next 10 miles back to the shop.
Upon returning to the shop, I promptly bought hand and toe warmers, and a windbreaking vest. The half price vest was too good to pass up! Total of 40.5 miles with a average of 20.0mph! Not a bad comeback ride! Hopefully I can pull at the front some next time.

No comments: