Sunday, December 2, 2007

Hurt and dropped

I really enjoy the country roads around my house in southern Chesapeake. They have less traffic and are in better shape than roads in Pungo. When Rick invited me to join in on a ride starting a few miles from my house, I was in like Flin. Maybe I can pull some today?
By 8:30 it was a balmy 42 degrees, nicer than yesterday. Having not ridden this exact loop, the theme of late has been: not shure what I am in for. The pace early on was a leisurely 18-20mph, with us riding double file. Eventually the 5 of us got a pace line going. Steve barked "5 minute pulls, last 10 seconds standing!" Just what I like to do, watch my computer when I am suffering on the front. Fortunately Steve does like to watch his computer, and announced each persons warnings at 2 minutes and 10 seconds to go. We climbed the Pungo Ferry Bridge with a few downshifts, and I was keeping up. We stopped for a potty break at a little country store. The cashier gave us the "are you gonna buy anything?" eye. I entertained the idea of a granola bar, then decided against it. I did down a Gu gel and some H2o, but it turns out that this would not be enough.
I did my 5 minute pulls as ordered by the bike Nazi, and was enjoying it all. The pace was mostly 21-23mph depending on the wind. Steve picked up the pace claiming he had a tail-wind, the jury is still out. Now us skinny guys cant usually ride more than 2 hours without eating something with more substance than a energy gel, and I was right on time. My pull came up again, and I plead my case, "I dont think I can pull 5 minutes!" "Yes you can!" came the orders. Slowing the pace to a crawl, I managed my suffering, tying not to think about how hungry I was. Everybody passes me offering congratulations for a good effort, while riding off into the distance. I was bonking hard. They did look back once in a while to see if the Turkey Vultures had found me yet. What is the minimum speed to appear alive? Or do they go by smell?
Luckily this was only 2 or 3 miles from the end. "Is there steaks in the freezer?" I thought as I arrived. A Oatmeal- Raisin Cliff Bar would have to do for now. Everyone told me I did good, which helped bandage my pride a little. 43 miles and a 20.5mph average, not too bad. Looking forward to next weekend, who can I get to ride this week after work?

No comments: