Saturday, December 29, 2007

Thats more like it!

Most people start riding bikes because it is fun. Most people keep riding bikes because it is fun. How many reasons could you come up with to NOT ride? Its peculiar how pain and suffering is NOT on my list. Misery is on it. The misery is not caused by the pain and suffering as most non-bike riders would assume. Most avid cyclist learn to deal with a certain amount of pain, and even learn to embrace it. We embrace it with the knowledge that if we push ourselves to the edge, it may be further than we thought. How can that limit be discovered without searching? Some people do not enjoy pushing themselves, and therefore will never enjoy the rewards. Sounds sad doesn't it? That's the beauty of this country, people can decide their own fate. Like Rush says in the song "Free Will", "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice!"
What causes the miserable ride like I had last Saturday? The correct question would be: why was I miserable on the ride last Saturday? The answer is not clear to me, if some one has a idea, fill me in. I would like to avoid it, if at all possible. It wasn't the wind blowing furiously in my face, or getting dropped (several times), or the pain in my legs, or lungs. None of this was new. Thankfully my next ride would be better.
I had a lot of fun on the Thursday night ride as I usually do. The vibe is competitive, but fun. One minute everyone is riding 3 or 4 wide, laughing and talking, the next minute is a frantic sprint to the next stop sign. This usually is followed by more laughing and talking about what just happened, then another sprint. Interval training at its best, try to keep up with guys faster than you, then joke about how you can't, while trying to catch your breath. Good clean fun.

No comments: