Tuesday, June 3, 2008

No Crit? No problem!

I was looking forward to the Tuesday night Crit at the Va. Bch. Sportsplex, but it was cancelled due to a Soccer game. Everyone else must have been looking forward to it too, because they all came out to the ride from the Great Bridge Cyclery. We must have pulled out onto Centerville Turnpike 50 deep! The ride started out very mellow, cruising 2 and 3 wide, 18-20 mph. Everyone was bunched up but relaxed. The pace soon picked up and a line formed. The fast guys new they wanted to be up front, but I was not sure where to be. Turned out good as the front group took off, we picked up the discarded. First a few, eventually 8 guys, and a girl, formed a pace line. We worked good together, although some pulled longer than others. I did my fair share. Feeling good, I picked up the pace on my last pull to 28 mph. That felt grrreaat! ( shouted like Tony the Tiger) We rolled in many minutes behind the first group. That's okay, those guys are Cat 2's & 3's ! I could have never done 30 mph the whole ride.

With my limited experience in large groups of strangers, like Crits and rides like this, I am still learning alot. The constant accelerations, closing gaps, getting on the last guys wheel. Definitely getting better at being aggressive. don't let the gap open, if it opens, close it up now! Looking forward to the Crit this Saturday.

No comments: