Sunday, October 26, 2008

08 Tidewater Moutain Bike Challenge

Thanks Steve and the many volunteers for all the hard work. The trail was in great shape today despite yesterdays rain. The dirt was moist and tacky. Some of this moistness did get transferred to the roots and bridges, but it wasn't too treacherous. Thanks to the people that have pushed me to ride harder and get better, especially Rick, Greg, and Carlos. Biggest thanks to Sheri for putting up with my obsessive behavior. The coolest chick I know.
Departing the house at 9:30 would be plenty of time to make the hour drive, register, and warm up before the noon race. Interstate 64 had other plans. 75 mph (oops... I mean the legal limit of 65) then BLAM! Everyone stop! 3 fire engines, 3 ambulances, and many police cars come wailing bye. We sit for 30 minutes. Could have been much worse, we could have been in the crunched up cars. Luckily all the races were delayed a hour for clean up this morning. Plenty of time.
My race went well. Starting on the front row was a great opportunity to beat the pack to the single track. I got a good start and entered the woods in 4th or 5th. Passed one guy about a half lap in. I knew there was some strong riders behind me, and they were coming. The climbs are my weakest point. 2 guys pass me on a long climb on the back of the course, but I thought I could have re passed them on the down hill! Descending is not my weakest point. 2 more get past me on lap 3 as my back starts hurting. I work through my back issues and maintain 8th until the finish. I am happy with that.

2 comments:

Gregory Everson said...

Outstanding job...We know you're a MTB rider at heart. All of that AWESOME effort and true "Heart" commitment while road riding has made you a strong well rounded rider and great riding companion.

Sheri is the bomb

sam-eye-am said...

You mean your MTB skills haven't diminished with all that skinny tire riding you've been doing?