Sunday, April 13, 2008

Up to speed...

Since Carlos scolded me today for not posting enough, and he is the only one who reads the stupid thing, I was inspired. Greg has made comments also, he must be checking in some. What has happened since my last post? Lots of drizzle, some rain, some time on the trainer, and some on the road. Here are some highlights.
Two weeks ago Tyler and I went to the Slaughterama. It was billed to me as a place to go see alot of Tall Bikes. All we saw was underage drinking and drug use in a city park, lots of Tattoos, lots of trash on the ground, and a total of 2 cops. The police stayed well away so as not to be involved. Doesn't speak well for the city of Richmond. I hope this kind of thing stays in the liberal "big city".
Greg, Dave and I have been riding a 28 mile loop after work from my house. Carlos made it out one time to show off his new bike. Nice! Of course with Greg around a hammerfest usually ensues. I could draft that newly dropped down to 180 lb. ass all day! Oops, did I type that out loud?
Today, 8 of us departed Bikebeat, 9 a.m. 4 hours and 75 miles later, 4 returned. This was advertised as a "B" pace ride, 18-20 mph. The first 30 miles took us to the Pungo- Ferry Bridge. Greg and I did almost all of the pulling, at the correct pace. We sprinted a few times, then waited for the re-group. I got a wild hair and pulled a short section at 26mph. Then Greg pulled us to 29! That brought us in to the general store in Creeds. Time for a potty break and Slim Jims.
No one seemed to be hurting, so to fix that, we decided to add a 15 mile loop. The pace slowed dramatically. At some points we were dropping people at 15mph. After the loop, and crossing the bridge again, we still had 30 miles to go. How long does it take to do 30 miles at 12-15 mph? We would stay a group if needed, but Barry graciously told us to go our own pace, he would get the others back. 4 of us split and soon we were cruising! The average speed for the last 20 miles must have been 23-24mph! That was fun!
Now I feel better about the 100 mile TourDeCure next Saturday. Looking forward to it! This will be my second century, and I am determined to not let Greg drop me again! Click the link on the right, and donate some money!!

1 comment:

sam-eye-am said...

I read your blog too! Though apparently less frequently than you update it. Damn dude...sounds like you are turning into a hard core roadie (and probably getting much faster too!).

I think I spent over 1k on bike parts in the past month...so have been wrenching on bikes more than riding it seems.

Had a bit of a heat wave out here...did a 3 hour remote-ish trail ride (was on the Giant) when it got up to about 90F. Only managed to cover 20 miles (4 of which were paved) in 3 hours of wheels in motion time. Seemed like I was either in granny gear, pushing the bike, or holding on to the brakes for dear life. But, still fun:)