Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Jefferson Cup preride

Last year I really wanted to race the Jefferson Cup, but a bum alternator kept me busy instead. Every year the limit for each category gets filled quickly, and people get on a wait list to fill in for the "no shows". "Your welcome" whoever took my place.
This year I decided early not to race until April. The Snowball Crits have always just been a big frustration, not to mention the nasty weather. Getting lapped by the pack in the cold rain is no fun! Even when the weather was beautiful for both of this years Snowballs, I went for long training rides instead. The plan is working so far, my fitness is starting to come around with more intensity every week.

A good way to get faster is to ride with guys faster than yourself. So when Rick invited me to go with him, Steve, and Linda to preride the Jeff Cup, I jumped on. It was a good day. My first ride this year with no base layer, and no arm or leg warmers. The course was fun, a 11 mile loop that is going either up or down, but never flat. After 4 laps, I was done. Rick and Steve dropped me on the 4th and did a fifth. The roads were tore up with potholes, hopefully they get filled before next weekend.
After we picnicked on the side of the road and watched the other riders go by. Steve did his usual naked in public ritual :
This was him scrambling to get his pants on as I ran for the camera. I've caught him before.http://evilgeniusbike.blogspot.com/2008/09/york-river.html You think he would learn his lesson! Thanks to Steve and Linda for the sandwich. It was good training, even if I'm not racing it this year. Looking forward to the Smithfield HAMmerfest!

No comments: